Visions of Heaven

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Fatherhood Follies and Face Ups


You know since my child came into this world, I was smitten. My daughter is a crazy little female version of me. That is scary. I love this little girl. Well, the little girl who was snug as a bug as an infant is now a acne fighting, frizzy hair, boy crazy 14 year old. Yeah. Pray my strength. As a father it is my duty to warn, threaten, scream, prevent, and protect this female teenager from nasty little boys and perverted older boys and sick men. It is what it is.

Now, being that she's a female. She has these emotions which half the time are hard to understand. She likes boys. Ugh. Its not so bad. But with the bible, bail money and bullets. I figure, we gonna be alright. One thing is for sure, you cannot sleep on anything. The smallest inkling or crack can become a cave for carnality. There are days when I realize Im going to be the bad guy. Im not interested in being my daughter's friend. I have to be her parent. Yeah, I like being the cool dad, but too often her actions have the cool dad hotter than the fish grease at Timmy Chan's.

There is a school year coming quick fast and in a hurry. Her first year of high school. Lord help me. We should be good. Im expecting great things for her. We pushing hard this year. Sometimes you want things more for your child than they do. That's okay. I think most parents do but maybe not willing to admit it for fear that they may actually be living their lives through their children. Its important for them to let them have their life. Growing up is like that driving school car. You have to let them get in the driver's seat. But remember, the brake pedal on your side is there to help them and you. Whew! I love this life.

No comments: