Visions of Heaven

Monday, December 28, 2009

Black Single Women



Black women are having a tough time finding suitable mates among the brothers. If you think this going to be one of those blogs where I bash Black woman, you are sadly mistaken. Instead, I have to be realistic and sympathetic to the plight of our women. Many feel they have no choice but to date outside the race. It is what it is. Now, standards are an issue and truthfully it is a real concern. Black women should not settle. However, the question is what does it mean to not settle?

Some Black women find themselves making questionable decisions based upon their past. Those sisters tend to go through dysfunctional relationship, one after the other. These sisters many times are not educated nor possess an attractive job. Just based upon their education, their choices in men are limited. Now, when you deal with a sister who has the all the education and career goals accomplished. What does a brother do to attract that sister? Many Black men do not have the jobs or the education. So, its a question of investment. Will Black men invest in their future to ensure they find a mate; One that isnt always in the clubs, one that is not working at McDonalds, one that isnt stuck in the hood mentally. One that is looking for thug passion from a thug. Basically, Black men share similar problems. We dont want to marry someone who may or might cheat on us or make our lives full of drama.

I asked a good friend of mine how she feels about the pool available to her. I ask if she would date potential. Now this sister is gorgeous. Has a MBA. Corporate job. She's high maintenance to a certain degree. Yet, she is down to earth. We talked today briefly about how she feels about the Black men available to her. She actually said that she felt she had found someone and that she was fortunate. Now, will it lead to marriage, right now the hardware is not to be found on her finger. And, yes she has set a deadline. Which as of this date is rapidly approaching.

So, while it can be said that Black women are being challenged in this area, it can be said that there are successes. Black women maybe dating outside the race, Black women may feel the pool is shrinking. However, Black women are still marrying Black men and want to marry Black men. As long as that is the case, that ray of hope will shine. As Steve Harvey alluded to in the video, many of our gender failed to grasp the real concept of family in this generation. Yet, he said from the outset that there are some good Black men out here and they are. I happen to be one of them.

I am a single father. I am a Black man. I love God. I love Black women. I have a MBA. Yet, I dont have that "corporate job" yet. Despite this economy, I cannot expect nothing to be handed to me. Whether that is a job making a high five or six figures or a even the hand of a sister in marriage. I have to work for it all. I have issues but those issues I struggle with do not have me. And yes, I had to work to get it to be that way. So for single Black men, I say this to you. Be encouraged, work hard, have faith, and pursue excellence. As I like to say from time to time. Love comes around, it finds a way. To my single sisters, I say this to you. Be encouraged, work hard, have faith and yes pursue excellence. We as a people have to think as one. The message to both genders concerning marriage and love should be and is the same. Love comes around, it finds a way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said. I agree ... love does find a way.